Friday, May 10, 2013

Assisi


This is the home of Saint Francis. I couldn't find a place to stay here, and had trouble with transportation which made me late and tired. Set up the tent and slept in somebody's olive orchard, and left the next day after seeing some of the sights.



I almost blew it off, but I'm glad I didn't. The basilica of St Francis is one of the really inspiring ones. It's covered (inside) with frescos by Giotto and other greats of the early renaissance.

Francis is also one of the truly inspirational figures of christendom. He abandoned a promising and lucrative career in his dad's fabric business to follow a non-materialistic lifestyle, with an emphasis on appreciation of nature. I agree he was a true saint. Too bad you have to throw in miracles to make the official grade, but he made it anyway.

It was also a Roman town. This is the old forum.

You can see the chip marks from 2000 years ago, and the pigeon poop from yesterday






No comments:

Post a Comment